Uniformed and Overseas (UOCAVA) Voters

If you are a qualified New Hampshire voter who is living overseas or serving in the military, you can vote absentee as a UOCAVA voter.


If you are at least 18 years old on election day, a United States citizen, and domiciled in New Hampshire, you can vote in an NH election, even if you are living overseas, or are serving in the military and absent from your domicile (primary residence).

How to vote as a UOCAVA voter:

  1. Request an absentee ballot using the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) on www.fvap.gov. Alternatively, you can request an FPCA from your local town/city clerk.
  • If you are not registered to vote, you can use the FPCA to register at the same time you request an absentee ballot. 
  1. After you have sent in your completed FPCA, you will receive a blank ballot and affidavit form with instructions. If you have internet access, you can request that these materials be sent to you through email (you must print them out). Fill out and mail back your ballot and affidavit to your local NH clerk following the instructions provided.
  2. Check the status of your absentee ballot at any point in the process using the Secretary of State’s Voter Information Lookup. Your local clerk must receive your ballot through U.S. mail or commercial carrier by 5:00pm on election day for it to be counted. 

Don’t delay!

Make sure you send your FPCA in as soon as possible. Your location and proximity to a reliable mail facility affects how much time you have to return your ballot.

All town and city clerks are required by federal law to send ballots at least 45 days before an election to UOCAVA voters who have previously submitted a request for that election cycle.

More questions?

Check out our UOCAVA Frequently Asked Questions page to find out for how long an FPCA is valid, what other options are available to UOCAVA voters, and more.