Frequently Asked Questions

Office of the Ombudsman Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I file a complaint with the Ombudsman’s Office?

A: Complaints, together with the $25.00 fee set forth in RSA 91-A: 7-b, I, should be submitted to the Office of the Right to Know Ombudsman, Room 313, State House Annex, 25 Capitol Street, Concord NH 03301.  Complaints must be signed and submitted in writing.   Checks for the filing fee should be made out to “Treasurer, State of New Hampshire.” The Ombudsman is unable to accept review of matters by telephone.


Q: Does the Right to Know Ombudsman work for the Secretary of State?” 

A: No.  The Right to Know Ombudsman (“RKO”) is an independent agency administratively attached to the Secretary of State’s office under RSA 21-G: 10  Section 21-G:10 Administratively Attached Agency. (”


Q. Can the Ombudsman provide me with informal advice regarding a Right to Know request?

A.  No.  Parties appearing before the Ombudsman’s Office (and any person wishing to speak with the office, even without the filing of a complaint) should clearly understand that the Ombudsman is not their representative, and does not provide legal advice or representation.  The Ombudsman serves in a neutral, quasi-judicial capacity and is tasked with resolving disputed matters that come before the office.